March 19, 2011

TIMELESS INSTRUCTIONS

IMG_0031

In the face of all we are seeing and experiencing right now I found myself drawn again to Matthew 24 where Jesus spoke of the things that would take place around us and made some pretty specific statements:

"See to it that you are not alarmed" (Matt. 24:6) and

"but he who stands firms to the end will be saved." (Matt. 24:12)

in the midst of a whole lot of other amazing advice!  We are brought back time and again to one of the verses that has always secured my life :

"Be still and know that I am God" which is enough in every situation.  In the fact of almost every situation we could ever experience or imagine, this wonderful statement takes hold of us, steadying and calming us in the face of the storms of life.

There is so much richness to be gleaned from such a short verse. :)

KNOW that He is still God.

KNOW that He is unchanging, always the same, yesterday, today and for all time.

KNOW that He has won the victory and rules and reigns for all time.

KNOW that His eyes range to and fro over the whole earth, waiting to show Himself strong for those whose hearts are turned towards Him.

KNOW that His nature is LOVE, and He will not deny who He is.

KNOW He created everyone and everything and knows ALL He has made and all the plans and purposes He has determined for His creation.

As we know this we are not tossed to and fro by the changing tides of human action and opinion, but carried forward in the strong steady flow of the river of His Life.

I am often unsettled by things I see, and things I hear men saying and doing, and then I remember that He is God, and His great plan and purpose will be worked out for them and for me.  Once again I can be still and KNOW He is sufficient, all I will ever need, and my soul and spirit become quiet before Him.

Thomas Merton says "Here the truth is One whom we not only know and possess, but by Whom we are known and possessed."

I am so grateful that such a big and wonderful God who never sleeps, made me, came looking for me, and made me His own.

"Lord, who do You say that I am?"

"MINE".

No comments:

Post a Comment