November 25, 2008

THE REASON WHY ...

Yesterday I was reminded why we continue to do the art/craft class in the family centre.

Sometimes I grow weary in doing good ... it's the end of the year and the demands are great. My physical person gets tired, and in many ways I feel a whole lot less generous than Jesus would be with all the good things He has given me!

Yesterday a very tired and broken woman sat next to me at the table. She is expecting her 10th baby and had a demanding 18 month old at her side. She had never done anything creative in her life and was nervous and hesitant about beginning.

As we sat side by side she began to make some cards for Christmas, slowly at first and then with ever growing enthusiasm and skill.

When it came time for the class to end and the other women left, she worked quietly on ... lost in a world of her own, making something beautiful and distinctly her own. I was certainly not going to break in on the process!

Eventually she finished and began to talk to me about what she was going to make next week, already looking forward to it.

I write this with tears. How little we need to do to make another person's life just a little more joyful, and yet how wonderful it is to see someone find that place of peace and joy.

It was good to remember the reason why we love to serve Jesus, and the reason why He was born and died. There is truly wonderful meaning in the Christmas season as this is reinforced in my life once again. I am grateful, always grateful.

Image034

No comments:

Post a Comment