August 05, 2008

A Tribute

Many years ago I read some books by Alexander Solzhenitsyn that impacted me greatly.

This week the author died, leaving a legacy of having persevered under great difficulties, and holding firmly to what he believed regardless of all that was taking place around him.

I have kept a copy of the following in the back of my bible, and it seems a good time to share it now with any of you who wander through here! May it encourage and inspire us all.

I LOOK BACK IN WONDER (Alexander Solzhenitsyn)

How easy for me to live with you, O Lord! How easy for me to believe in You!

When my mind parts in bewilderment or falters,

When the most intelligent people see no further than this day's end, and do not know what must be done tomorrow,

You grant me the serene certitude that You exist and that You will take care that not all the paths of good be closed.

Atop the ridge of earthly fame I look back in wonder at the path which I alone could never have found, a wondrous path through despair to this point from which I, too, could transmit to mankind a reflection of your rays.

And as much as I must still reflect You will give me, but as much as I cannot take up You will have already assigned to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment